Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Name That Film: Adaptation Edition: Book to Film

Adaptation is one of the most basic phenomena of biology, the scientific study of life. It is the process by which an organism becomes better suited to it's habitat and probably why dinosaurs crew razor sharp teeth in the first place!

All I do is sit on my fat ass with that annoying cursor blinking back. If I wasn't so fat, I could probably be happier. Maybe I should start jogging again? 5 miles a day! I need to turn my life around. I need to fall in love. I need to read more and improve myself. Besides fashion and what's happening, what did we learn in high school? The golden rule...not to be played the fool...in public!

What if I learned Russian or something? Not to be an outward underground commie per say, or to succinctly see a form of red, but to align greater realities in a common perspective with the objective of being a better person each day until I'm dead. What if I took up an instrument and learned to speak Chinese? I could be the blog-writer who speaks fluent Chinese and plays a mean cowbell. That'd be cool and so cutting edge I'd wanna say....aaaa-so!

You are what you love, not what loves you. It that whole grass is greener, give and take gig that becomes so big in the large scheme of things, never mind what it brings, that the participant can't help but feel enlightened, even indirectly, as if they had received their vitality and color artificially inseminated through a Hollywood tanning bed. The point being that each one of us is a metaphorical flower having a specific relationship what whatever happens to pollinate us. Now there is little time to compose and construct a long laundry list of items, each with it's inherent virtue and vice, but trust you me, there is a price to be paid. Believe that! Neither the flower nor the insect of pollination have the capacity to understand the importance of their lovemaking. Now some unlucky ladies will undoubtedly quip,

"That's a guy thing!", which may be true to some of you...but, by doing what we are designed to do, following our internal voice, each individual becomes a part of something large and magnificence often happens.

Adaptation is a profound process and means you figure out how to thrive in a hostile environment, which is akin to a wolverine lost in Buckeye country on a certain Saturday in the fall.

Rising from the ashes, the private sector must now emerge unscathed, intact, unchanged with the resolve of something fiercely determined, illustrating a much greater level of efficiency despite the diminished returns.

Will there be an increase in productivity, as we, as a separate species, are able to adapt AND adopt new behaviors in a whirling vortex of change. People are strange but adaptation is a change in an organism's ability to live successfully in an environment changing all the while, coping with all the stress and pressures of life on the edge of existence. Dial 1-800-C-DARWIN!

Structural adaptations are special body parts of an organism that help it to survive in it's natural habitat, which is one of the reasons I grew a dorsal fin. Behavioral adaptations are a special way an organism behaves to survive in it's natural habitat, which is precisely why I don't flaunt that dorsal fin. Keep in mind the underlying basis for adaptation did not arise as a consequence of the environment, but rather, as it was a pre existing condition, something your insurance wants no part of. Organisms that are not suitably adapted to their environment will either move or die out. Charlie Kaufaman writes the way he lives which gives and lends credence to clearance.

There are a million ways this thing could end...
Well thanks for tuning back in to Name that Film!!! Last week was a much needed week off and that nuisance called work was wearing me out mentally (along with the 100+ degree weather). Anyway, my pahtna Blood came up with a wonderful idea and intro this week and inspired me to get back on the bike and start peddling.

Blood-N-Bolts Productions truly hopes you enjoy this weeks edition of
Name That Film!

Directions: In case you are new, here is what you do. Just read the movie quotes below and name the movie they came from. Check back later to see if you were right and watch the clip from the movie where the quote came from! Remember, all of this weeks quotes come from movies that were adapted from books.

Good luck!

1. "Do you know, I don't think there is a single piece of meat in this stew?"

2. "You're out Tom."

3. "Thee pounds what sir? Certainly not sir!"

4. "Take the ball...Jump up and put her in the basket!"

5. "A written letter, trying to explain things, in case you are captured."

6. "They'll never rest until they spoil the earth."

7. "Well, I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted. If I could hit 'em."

8. "It doesn't matter if you whip us. You'll still be where you were before, the bottom."

9. "Are you truly prepared to be despised within the department?"

10. "Quite and experience living in fear isn't it? That's what it is being a slave."

Let's see those answers! I will check in throughout tonight and tomorrow to let you know how you are doing. Thanks again to Blood and to all of those who test their movie knowledge. Remember to check out the Blood Blog and see more of blood's truly inspired work. See you next week for our next edition of Name That Film!!!

40 comments:

Gene Haddock said...

Toughies this week guys. For me anyway. Only one guess....

#9....Serpico?

BoltBacker21 said...

Thanks for playing Gene. However, number 9 is not Sepico. I have used Serpico before, but not this time.

It's always hard to gauge the difficulty level of these quotes. We don't want it too easy, but also not too hard. I generally go with the bosox test. If he gets less than seven right, it is too hard. lol

SpeedBeagle said...

No clue whatsoever. Of course, you couldn't pick one of my favorite book to film quotes-

"All my life, all I ever wanted to be was him."

BoltBacker21 said...

Sorry SpeedyB! I guess I made it too hard this week.

My wife says "The Man in the Iron Mask" for your quote.

Thanks for showing up!

Bosox 61 said...

Hey Bolt,

Nice to see you guys back. Before I go on to the answers I must say that Blood's intro was absolutely brilliant, and I understood it...finally. Most of the time when I read him I just scratch my head and wonder exactly how many brain cells I killed when I drank.

OK, the answers. I have at least five (and by the way, your wife was correct).


I have been saying for years that the society potrayed in #1 is almost the society we live in today, except today it is done in pastels, not black and white and gray.

Number seven portrays a society that sometimes I wish I lived in today. Simple wants, simple dreams, simple goals. That is of course if you got rid of the hatred and bigotry that seems to corrupt every society. Maybe I was born to live on Walton's mountain.

Enough of this. #2 is The "The Godfather", a novel by Mario Puzo adapted for the screen by Mario Puzo. Whoda thunk it.

BoltBacker21 said...

Nice work as always bosox! I agree that blood's intro was possibly his best effort to date. His unique still, perhaps slightly muted, came out in this piece.

Looks like 5 right is quite a good score this week. Either not that many people have played, or the quotes are very hard for the average movie goer. Of course, you are correct on number 2. The Godfather

Thanks for playing!!

By the way, if the game doesn't pick up steam tomorrow, feel free to knock out the ones you know. It's a little slow tonight.

BoltBacker21 said...

2. The Godfather: "You're out Tom."

Answered by: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGidH6HwbTE

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bolt & Blood & Bosox & everyone....

MIKE HANNER: PRIVATE EYE will be a book soon, maybe even a movie.lol

Is #7 "To Kill a Mockingbird?"

Just guesses:

#10 - "Roots"

#9 - Sounds like our office at work.lol

#3 - "Saving Private Ryan"

#6 - "Planet of the Apes"

#4 & #8 are about sports....I got nothing.

Now that I've got MY damaged brain cells (lol, Bosox) working at 4 in the morning, I will get on with my day. Mickey Rooney says the key to fighting alzheimer's is to read a lot. Use it or lose it.lol

(Help Blood with posting his playlist.)

aero said...

Hey guys, I hope you had a great vacation.

Some of these quotes sound familiar, but I can't quite get a handle on them.

I'll take a couple of guesses anyway.

#1. The Grapes of Wrath
#7. To Kill a Mocking Bird

Thank you both for another great game.

storkjrc said...

nice work by the B & B team! Its been awhile since I got to play, between your vacation and my work.

Bosox is right about number one. Atleast its heading that direction.

For those who haven't guessed and since bosox didn't put it down.

#1 1984

I also got a few others

#4 One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

#8 The Outsiders. I love watching that movie and seeing all those guys (and Diane Lane) when they were younger and just starting out.

#10 Blade Runner- Little tidbit I heard on Dennis Miller Radio Show. This was one of William Sanderson's ( Larry from the Newhart show)first major films.

Blood said...

Welcome back good peoples! A respite certainly was in order. Sorry for the increased level of difficulty but I was adapting and thinking on me feet.

Thanks for th kind words Bosox! That was a fun one to construct!

Though, if you are scratching your head, despite my obvious quirks, this means I have not completed the task at hand efficiently and effectively

So there you have it Will, we've gut a water mark...if Bosox bats

.700...we may be tipping our pitches.

Someone call for the lefthander outta the pen?

Thanks all!

-B

p.s. I just finished reading Gone Baby Gone...WOW! Watta writa!

klvalus said...

Dang it! Stork beat me to it...the only one I know is #8 The Outsiders. I still cry everytime Johnny dies...

and ooh and aah over Soda Pop, Two Bit and of course Dallas. Now that was a chick flick!!! LOL

Good one guys!!

BoltBacker21 said...

HI Bev! Nice job on number 7! Your other guesses were incorrect, but nice tries all the same.

Thanks for playing!!!

BoltBacker21 said...

7. To Kill A Mockingbird: "Well, I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted. If I could hit 'em."

Answered by: BelleofSavannah

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYw0k--qNY

BoltBacker21 said...

Hi aero, A week off was really nice. I enjoy this game, but I think starting work again had me stressed out and a little behind schedule.

As for your guesses...you were one for two. Right on number 7 and wrong on number 1. You're batting .500 for the ones you tried!

Thanks for playing!

BoltBacker21 said...

Great to see you back Storkjrc! Way to go knocking out 4 of the flicks! You were right on all four!

Thanks for playing!!

BoltBacker21 said...

1. 1984: "Do you know, I don't think there is a single piece of meat in this stew?"

Answered by: storkjrc

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rBDUJTnNU

BoltBacker21 said...

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: "Take the ball...Jump up and put her in the basket!"

Answered by: storkjrc

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b96eamEj988

BoltBacker21 said...

8. The Outsiders: "It doesn't matter if you whip us. You'll still be where you were before, the bottom."

Answered by: storkjrc

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUjTUK0jf8

BoltBacker21 said...

10. Blade Runner: "Quite and experience living in fear isn't it? That's what it is being a slave."

Answered by: storkjrc

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

BoltBacker21 said...

Hi Kristen! The early bird gets the movie around here! At least you got one. That's better than getting skunked!

Thanks for playing!!!

BoltBacker21 said...

Hi B! Outstanding job this week my friend. Great idea and intro! Let me know if you have anything for next time. I think I have movie block or something.

Bosox 61 said...

OK Bolt, The two I have left are #6 "Watership Down" and #9 "LA Confidential".

By the way, I hated them both.

BoltBacker21 said...

Very nice bosox! I haven't seen Watership Down since around the fifth grade. I have never seen LA Confidential, but I hear it won some Oscars.

Anyway, you nailed them both! We're almost done!

BoltBacker21 said...

6. Watership Down: "They'll never rest until they spoil the earth."

Answered by: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkU1lyvPn_A

BoltBacker21 said...

9. LA Confidential: "Are you truly prepared to be despised within the department?"

Answered by: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT7aFLAS4ZI

BoltBacker21 said...

Okay, we are down to just number 3 and 5! I'll give some hints tomorrow if no one gets them.

Thanks for playing everyone!

Blood said...

Will, funny you should mention...I have something brewing as we speak and my stomach feels fine.

You will have this in plenty of time to do what you do when you do what you do with me....

AGAIN....for fun than two grown men across the country should be allowed to have!

-Blood

BoltBacker21 said...

THanks B! I'm glad we had this contest. I think I was burning out a little. It has been fun and I now look forward to next week and you latest masterpiece.

Bosox 61 said...

How 'bout some clues Will!

BoltBacker21 said...

OOPPS! Sorry Paul, you're absolutely right! Clues are in order and right away!

clue for number 3: Could have been named after the bad luck cousin on The Brady Bunch.


Clue for number 5: This had nothing to do with buying groceries.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

#3 - OLIVER!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted a Brady Bunch family, complete with that split-level house!!!lol

Anonymous said...

#5 - Winn Dixie, that movie about a dog?lol

Bosox 61 said...

Clues wouldn't have helped much. Never even heard of the Winn-Dixie movie. Probably only have seen a few episodes of the Brady Bunch.

Got a trivia question for you. One actor starred in two of your ten flics. Who was he and which flics are they?

BoltBacker21 said...

Not so fast Bosox! Bev was right about number 3, but not about number 5!

Congrats on number 3 Bev and your clip will follow!! I'l have to think about your question and get back to you.

New clue for number 5: Like Santa, he kept a list.

BoltBacker21 said...

3. Oliver Twist: "Thee pounds what sir? Certainly not sir!"

Answered by: BelleofSavannah

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnULGJeErw

BoltBacker21 said...

I got it!!!! Bev, the answer to your question is Kevin Bacon!!! Okay, I just picked him because he is in most movies, it seems. How about Michael Cane?

Anonymous said...

Bolt, get some rest. Bosox asked the question, not me.lol

Bosox 61 said...

Nope on both Kevin Bacon and Michael Caine.

Hint: I used to smoke Winston cigarettes but they started to hurt my throat and affect my voice.

BoltBacker21 said...

5. Schindler's List:: "A written letter, trying to explain things, in case you are captured."

Answered by: Bolt Backer 21

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHvLtitxug