Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bolt Notes: Wrap Up, Preview, and Week 5 Picks!

Well, it's safe to say that I had a better week than the Chargers last week. I went a pretty good 10-4, while my Bolts got embarrassed on national television. Those wins bring my overall record to 40 - 22 for the season. Someday I'll have the guts to go against the spread, but that day is not today.

Chargers / Steelers Wrap Up Week 4:

Someone once said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If I follow that advise, I would have to stop writing now and call it the shortest blog post of my life. Well, I don't want to do that, so I think I will simply try to find a silver lining in the storm cloud that was the Chargers / Steelers game last Sunday night.

So, what positive things can I say about my Chargers? Hmmmm. Give me a minute, I'll t
hink of something. Ah! Here we go, there were actually some bright spots for the Bolts in this game that was nearly as close as the 38-28 final score.

- Antonio Gates is back! He dominated the Steelers in the second half and actually got the Chargers back in the game.

- Philip Rivers did manage to manufacture a couple of strong drives in the second half that pulled the Chargers within seven points in the fourth quarter.

- The Chargers covered an on-side kick in a clutch situation.

- LaDainian Tomlinson did play, even if not much, or well.

- The Chargers special teams did a wonderful job. Hester even stripped the ball on a Steelers return and carried it in for an easy score. I was shocked that no one committed a penalty during the play to bring it back.
Negative stuff:


- Neither Chargers line could do anything against the Steelers lines.

- The Charders had run only three offensive plays by the time they were down by 14 points.

- The Chargers have not scored on their first posession in the last 22 games!

- Antonio Cromartie was not losing coverage due to a lack of pass rush. It is true that the pressure was weak for most of the game, but "Crimetime" was getting beaten from the snap. He then started holding guys to make up for his lack of covering ability. I really don't think he is very good. I would like to trade him while other teams may still remember two years ago.

- The Chargers defense had been known for starting slowly and then doing well late. In this game, they were pathetic the entire game. At least they were consistant.

Well, there it is. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to take any credit away from the Steelers. They played a very good game and had it in hand in the first half. Their defense struggled in the second half but their offense had things well in hand.

Preview For Week 5:

Week 5 should be a great week for San Diego fans. None of the local teams will lose this week! The Chargers, Aztecs, and Padres do not play, therefore they will not lose!!!! The Chargers must get healthy and fix some major problems so they can come back off their bye week and face the division rival Denver Broncos on Monday Night Football!!!



Week 5 Picks: Winners are in all caps.

browns @ BILLS (Two bad teams, but too much going on in Cleveland to focus on football.)
STEELERS @ lions (Pah-Lease)
COWBOYS @ chiefs (We could see an upset here. Romo was horrible last week.)
VIKINGS @ rams (Fairy tail season will continue for at least another week.)
raiders @ GIANTS (Raiderettes would be better off playing against the Giants.)
bucs @ EAGLES (No contest, sorry aero)
redskins @ PANTHERS (Not impressed with either team, but Panters at home.)
bengals @ RAVENS (Bengals fall back to Earth this week.)
FALCONS @ niners (Tough game, could be wrong here.)
jaguars @ SEAHAWKS (Tough to play in Seattle and Hasselbeck is back)
texans @ CARDINALS (Texans defense cannot handle Cards offense.)
PATRIOTS @ broncos (Broncos can't score with the big boys. Pats will be able to score on the Denver top rated defense. This could mark the beginning of the end for the Broncos.)
COLTS @ titans (Titans are due, but don't bet against Indy in the early part of the season.)
JETS @ dolphins (Tough game, don't feel confident about this one, but I think the Jets defense is for real.)


Enjoy the games!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might have missed a couple of games in your picks.I do think you missed the bronco game. If they where at New England i would agree with you but there offense is getting better week to week but it will be close.

BoltBacker21 said...

Well Annonomous, If I could get them all, I wouln't be rich and not messing around on this blog every week. Today, I went 10-3. Not too bad. You are correct that I missed the Broncos game. There were some key plays in that game that really swung the momentum over to Denver and their defense really played well.

Thanks for the comment. Leave your name next time so that I know who I'm talking to. Was this Joe S.?

aero said...

Hey Bolt,
No need to be sorry , the Bucs are sorry enough for both of us.
Seriously, if the Glazers don't put an end to this farce next year then they should be stripped of their franchise and have to find another way to subsidize Manchester United.

Take care my friend and good luck to the Chargers.