Thursday, October 29, 2009

Name That Film: Movies You Know By Heart Edition

Say hello to my little friend! Common cultural currency. This week's Film Edition, after a brief delay, introduces, much like Jimmy Buffett's, Songs You Know By Heart, movie lines with which you may do the same. Where could we start? We could love each other RIGHT HERE outside of time...detached! I'm in the middle of a mystery and it's all a secret. I thought my ideas were so clear...

In 5 minutes you are not going to believe what I've just told you. This used to be one helluva country, I wonder what happened. Just you remember this: a kiss is still a kiss and a sigh may a lost try, though the fundamental things still apply as time goes by. Long after two lovers woo, continue to say, "I do!"

Who hasn't observed Cary Grant ducking for cover North by Northwest? Maybe a dingo ate your baby and I don't really mean maybe. This what you call bringing up baby? We must get beyond the iron chain of passions to be more like a great, self serving piece of art hovering in harmony void of restriction. I've seen horrors but you've no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me, you have a right to do that...but you've no right to judge me. A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember...am I talking to much? What's wrong with a perfect blend of comedy and pathos? Wouldn't the truth be adequately handled and discerned solely dependent upon the abilities of the individual? This is a tale of good and evil. It was with this hand that Cane iced his brother Love. Carry on wayward son. There may be peace when we are done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don'tcha cry no more!

You talkin' ta me? Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn, a dollar, or a do-re-mi! Two roads diverge in the mud of blood and most take the other one for it is inherently easier. What, like I amuse you? Soylent green is people! Let's bring back life form as priority number one. All other priorities rescinded. Here's looking at you kid! I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore...or less. You stay alive baby. Do it for Van Gogh! But if you wanna stay alive? Then ante up! If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. Just don't be like me! Salvation does not lie within these 4 walls. Keep in mind even the most miserable life is better than a sheltered existence in an organized society where everything is calculated and perfect. I had a dream. In fact, it was on the night I first met you. In the dream there was our world and the world was dark because there weren't any robins and the robins represented love...and for the longest time there was this darkness and all of the sudden, thousands upon thousands of robins were set free and they flew down and brought this blinding light of love. It seemed that love would make any difference and it did!

Always in motion is the future. I don't think there is one word that can describe a man's life. Strange isn't it? Each person's life touches so many other lives and right now I feel like I can take on the whole empire myself. Do you have a special grudge against me? Do you feel a particularly strong resentment? is there something I've said that has caused this contempt, or is it just the things I stand for that you despise? Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night and unless you hold the chicken, bring the toast, and give me the check, you haven't broken any rules. What about the place where white picket fences and homecoming queens collide along the underside of American culture? A bit heavier I agree than volcanoes and pirates but certainly not like a waste of time arguing with a man whose lining up to be hot lunch. I just hope we don't wake up on Mars or something surrounded by millions of these little squishy guys.

Just when I was out, they pull me back in. Ken you think of a way an entire nation and it's exclusive baggage from the annals of history ken be aptly portrayed by 12 angry men? We'll always have Paris, or something based on similar events. You can't even buy a bag of peanuts in this town without someone writing a song about you. It seems the smell of napalm in the morning smells like...like...victory! You don't care about anything 'zept you. You want to persuade people that you love 'em so much they ought to love you back...only you want love on your own terms, something to be played your way, according to your rules. Do you presently possess the power of life and death? We are the music makers. We are the dreamer of dreams. If you can keep your head about you when all are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, you have been successful enough to employ the phrase in good faith, "I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it!"
Now remember, as long as you live, never laugh at me, laugh at anything or anyone else but never directly at me. The universe grows smaller ever day and the threat of aggression, by any group, anywhere, can no longer be tolerated. You broke my heart. You broke my heart. There must be security for all, or no one is secure. By now intelligence has been traced to a top secret Russian project through the perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zhokhov Islands. Try a little tenderness with this flailing mess despite the flowery fallibility of Man and their machines. Nothing is as bad as it seems. Life is beautiful. Give me a place to sit and I may destroy it! The nothingness of existence extends over time and space stretching back to the dawn of Man unto the mind finally grasping idea. Function. Brain assimilation prepares us for the transition. Evolutionary progress proceeds through technological development rising as the new order of life.

Yes, my friends, there are movie quotes that you have heard over the years that you can recite as easily as a police officer can recite the Miranda rights. Sometimes, you know a quote, but had no idea where it came from! Then, low and behold, you hear it in an old movie and a bell goes off inside your head. "That's where it came from!!"

Well, this week is designed to make all of you feel like movie savants. There are 15 movies quoted below and many of you will know all of them. Of course, I suppose this could be the most frustrating week ever as you may know the quote but just can't name the film.

Special Directions!: This week, we want you to tell us how many movies you know from the list, but only name 2! We don't want someone to come in and knock out all 15 without everyone having a chance to play. Basically, we want you to do what bosox61 does every week.


Good luck and thanks for playing Name that Film!!!

1. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

2. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

3. "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

4. "My Momma always said that life is like a box of chocolates....You never know what you're gonna get."

5. "I could have been a contender."

6. "I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?"

7. "There's no place like home."

8. "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

9. "Are you talking to me?"

10. "If you build it, he will come."


11. "You can't handle the truth!"

12. "Go ahead, make my day."

13. "I'll be back."

14. "Are you a hooker? Jesus, I forgot. I just thought I was doing great with you."

15. "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a fine chianti."

There you have it movie fans! Remember, don't answer them all! Tell us how many movies you know, then see which ones have been answered, and answer no more than two quotes. Feel free to check back in tomorrow and see if we need more help.

Special thanks to blood for his wonderful intro, as usual. Blood-N-Bolts Productions would not be the same without his special input. Remember to check out The Blood Blog for more entertaining reading.

See you next week!!!

47 comments:

SpeedBeagle said...

Ok, I got all 15.

I won't name #1, but I will tell you that the line cost the producer of the film a $500 fine.

As for the films I will name

#5 is On the Waterfront

#14 is Trading Places

BoltBacker21 said...

Great to hear from you SpeedyB! I can see that you got 1 and 5 for sure. However, you were actually wrong on number 14. So, feel free to answer another quote tonight, if you would like.

Thanks, as always, for playing and your clip will follow!

BoltBacker21 said...

5. On The Water Front: "I could have been a contender."

Answered By: SpeedBeagle

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0waNRaz6wU

SpeedBeagle said...

Ok, sticking with #14 let's try Pretty Woman.

BoltBacker21 said...

Excellent answer! ....But still incorrect. Keep swingin' until you hit it!

SpeedBeagle said...

Third time's a charm. Let's try Arthur.

The only other hooker movie I know of is Klute with Jane Fonda, but I really don't think that's it.

BoltBacker21 said...

Ding, Ding, Ding, Arthur is correct!!! That's why you get three strikes! Nicely done!

Funny little side note about the movie Arthur is that my whole adult life, I like to say the phrase, "I'll alert the media", when someone says something as though it is an announcement. For example, if my kid says, "I have to go to the bathroom!" I'll answer, "I'll alert the media." Until Saturday, when I checked out the movie Arthur from the library for my older kids to watch, did I realize that line came from Arthur.

Anyway, on to your clip!

BoltBacker21 said...

14. Arthur: "Are you a hooker? Jesus, I forgot. I just thought I was doing great with you."

Answered By: SpeedBeagle

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKcmjv3pdlk

5KidMom said...

Since I did have something to do with the planning of the post this week, I won't be guessing, but I wanted to take a minute to say thanks for letting the kids and I have the fun of helping you pick out the qoutes for this weeks edition of Name That Film. It was great to take a little trip down memory lane, see what they knew and didn't, and even learn a thing or two myself. Keep doing what you do.

Love,
~Mrs. Bolt

Anonymous said...

I think I'm sure about 6 of them, but it's also 4 in the morning, so we'll see.

#13 - E.T.

#12 - Dirty Harry

From my daughter, Holly:
Duane Allman: Nov. 20, 1946 - Oct. 29, 1971. Everyone eat a peach today to remember Skydog.

klvalus said...

I only know half of them for sure but they all sound familiar!

Here are my two contributions:

#4 Forrest Gump
#15 Silence of the Lambs

Gene Haddock said...

Finally an easy one!

I knew all of them except #14.

Great stuff by you and the Blood man.

BleedPRPLnGOLD said...

blood, you are one of a kind brother!

I feel like BOSOX for once...I know them all.. but I'll answer #11 for obvious reasons...A Few Good Men.

And the last one #14...you know, with the liveR...The Silence of the Lambs, just because I love Hannibal Lecter and want to give you a hard time for mispelling liver.

Thanks for the remedial version this week, I feel good about myself now.

P.S. If Uclan shows up, tell him to Foxmail me his email address.
:)

BleedPRPLnGOLD said...

I guess I'm too slow...kristen just snaked my #15 answer...that comment wasn't there a minute ago..

BoltBacker21 said...

Thanks 5KidMom (aka Mrs. Bolt)! It was fun having you and the kids help out this week. Too bad that kept you from being able to play.

Love you!!!

BoltBacker21 said...

Alright Bev, you fell victim to one of the inherent issues with this game. Sometimes, multiple movies use the same quote! Therefore, a right answer can actually be a wrong answer, like your guess of E.T.. That quote was in E.T., but that was not the movie I pulled it from. As for your Dirty Harry pick, that is another great pick and almost correct. Right charactor but wrong title.

Try, Try again!

Thanks for playing

BoltBacker21 said...

Nicely done Krysten! You were correct on both guesses!

Thanks for helping us knock down the list.

BoltBacker21 said...

4. Forrest Gump: "My Momma always said that life is like a box of chocolates....You never know what you're gonna get."

Answered By: kvalus

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7x4QwzLRaI

BoltBacker21 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BoltBacker21 said...

15. Silence Of The Lambs: "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a fine chianti."

Answered By: kvalus

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc

BoltBacker21 said...

Make those "klvalus". Sorry Krysten

BoltBacker21 said...

Thanks Gene! Did you want to answer any? We need to get through this list. Two per day limit.

BoltBacker21 said...

Nice work Bleed! Now how does this work? I make you feel smart and you bust my balls about a typo? Nice. Then, you mark the wrong number down for Silence of the Lambs! How do you like me now??? lol

Thanks for playing my friend and your clip will follow!

PS I haven't heard from UCLAN lately. Don't know what's up.

BoltBacker21 said...

11. A Few Good Men: "You can't handle the truth!"

Answered By: BleedPRPLnGOLD

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY

Bosox 61 said...

Hey Bolt,

You never told me if my last guess on the contest 2 weeks ago was correct.

Bosox 61 said...

Got them all this week Will. Sorry I'm late but didn't check in yesterday.

#12 - "Sudden Impact"

#13 - "The Terminator"

SpeedBeagle said...

#3 is The Godfather

#8 is Jaws

BoltBacker21 said...

Sorry bosox, you are absolutely right about two weeks ago. I did fail to answer your last guess.

Unfortunately, your answer was not correct. Below is the correct answer and clip

4. Chocolat: "Tastes like something I had when I was a girl."

Answered By: No correct answer

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAuf4-a0I4

BoltBacker21 said...

Now bosox, as for this week, you are correct on both answers (notice I didn't say guesses)! I had no doubt that you would get them all this week. Congrats!

BoltBacker21 said...

12. Sudden Impact: "Go ahead, make my day."

Answered By: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-Snl4a1RI

BoltBacker21 said...

13. The Terminator: "I'll be back."

Answered By: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8I4zFSipKs

BoltBacker21 said...

Welcome back SpeedyB! Great job on today's answers! You were correct on both! Way to go!!!

BoltBacker21 said...

3. The Godfather: "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

Answered By: SpeedBeagle

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrLemLlBloY

BoltBacker21 said...

8. Jaws: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Answered By: SpeedBeagle

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

Bosox 61 said...

Hey Will,

The real fun in this weeks contest is trying to sort out all the quotes in Blood's intro. If I have time this weekend I'll try to do it.

Anonymous said...

Jokerswild says-

1. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the wind

2. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocolisp Now {SP?}

3. "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." The God father

4. "My Momma always said that life is like a box of chocolates....You never know what you're gonna get."

Forrest gump


7. "There's no place like home."
Wizard Of OZ

8. "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
JAWS


10. "If you build it, he will come."
Feild Of Dreams



12. "Go ahead, make my day."

Dirty Harry

13. "I'll be back."


termenator

BoltBacker21 said...

Bosox, that would be a fun thing to do. Good luck with that. Blood does have an amazing way to put down his thoughts in a creative maze of words that leaves us mortals in amazement. He has been a very valuable addition to the game as you are as a participant. Thanks for playing!

BoltBacker21 said...

JW: Someone didn't follow directions! That's okay. We need to be wrapping this up and you did only answer four questions after the game has been going on for a couple of days, so there will be no fine and/or suspension sent down from Blood-N-Bolts Productions.

Great job on the quotes! Your clips will follow. Thanks for playing Name that Film!

BoltBacker21 said...

1. Gone With The WInd: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Answered By: JokersWild

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7z6hpO57c

BoltBacker21 said...

2. Apocalypse Now: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Answered By: JokersWild

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

BoltBacker21 said...

7. Wizard Of Oz: "There's no place like home."

Answered By: JokersWild

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6VT7ciR1o

BoltBacker21 said...

10. Field of Dreams: "If you build it, he will come."

Answered By: JokersWild

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTsQ9qePrQ

BoltBacker21 said...

Okay everyone, we are down to just numbers 6 and 9! Go ahead and knock them out. First come, first serve! I need to start on Bolt Notes for Raider Week!

Bosox 61 said...

OK, I'll give it up.
Both of the remaining quotes are from Robert De Niro movies, although they were made 25 years apart.

#6 - "Meet the Parents"

#8 - "Taxi Driver"

How many would Mrs. Bolt have had she chose to play?

BoltBacker21 said...

Thanks for closing us out bosox! You're a regular Trevor Hoffman! I'll let my wife answer your question on how many she would know. She is almost 10 years younger than me, so she didn't catch all of these movies. I have tried to share the must sees. Not to mention all the random movie quotes I use in everyday conversation.

See you next week!!

BoltBacker21 said...

6. Meet the Parents: "I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?"

Answered By: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVraZnJ6dM

9. Taxi Driver: "Are you talking to me?"

Answered By: bosox61

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E

Blood said...

It's been a while!

Thankfully...we may all rise.

Will the Halloween Edition of 3 days grace be turned into 10? The reason I inquire is because I'll be getting a little closer...at least this weekend.

ASU/USC this Saturday!

I have nothing further written until I return back to the New England night.

If we are not planning on utlizing the Halloween Edition: 10 Days Grace?

Please alert the media.

-Blood