Friday, November 13, 2009

Bolt Notes: Wrap-Up, Preview, and Week 10 NFL Picks!

Okay, this is getting ridiculous! When you think there is parody in the NFL, teams like the Lions go 0-16. Next, you start thinking that there is the "haves" and the "have nots", a team like Oakland beats Philly! Week 9 was just another example of a rather bazaar year in the NFL. Be honest, did you pick the Bucs to beat the Packers? I didn't. Did you think that the visiting Cowboys, Titans, and Cardinals would go into Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Chicago respectively and come out with wins? I didn't. Did you think the one loss Denver Broncos would lose to the Steelers in Denver? That one I got right! Thanks to the champs for that one.

Anyway, last week didn't do much to help my overall record this season. I was fortunate to come out with an 8-5 record for the week. That brings my season total to 81-48. Again, not bad, but not great either. I vow to do better this week!

Wrap-Up: Chargers @ Giants

Well, I'm going to keep it short and sweet this week. I've got things to do and the weekend is coming up fast. As for the game between the Chargers and Giants last Sunday, I must say that I saw some things that have to raise the hopes of all Chargers fans, as well as some things that could still be a problem.

On the bright side, the Chargers defense is starting to show up to games! They have recorded 15 sacks in the last three games (5 per game). Shawne Merriman has recorded four sacks in the last two games and Shaun Phillips have five in his last three. Those are the guys that the Chargers have been counting on to pressure the quarterback and they are finally getting it done. Along with the pressure comes better coverage (who knew?). Even the latest personnel changes made by Norv and Ron Rivera seem to be working. Weddle is hitting hard enough to get fined by the league and Steve Gregory is doing well as a nickle back and coming in on blitzes.

The other major plus for the day came on the offensive side of the ball. Yes, Philip Rivers threw three more touchdown passes and took the Bolts down field in less than two minutes for the game winning score with 21 seconds left on the clock. That's great, but what excited me was the offensive line was able to protect Rivers in the pocket. The much heralded pass rush of the Giants was mostly held at bay which is more that expected by most Chargers fans.

Then again, the offensive line also brings up my greatest concern.....run blocking. The Chargers are the worst running team in the NFL! With Tomlinson and Sproles, that is unacceptable. Yes, Sproles is small, and L.T. may have lost a step, but the fact is that the offensive line is not opening any holes for anyone to get through. For now, Rivers and his very talented targets (Jackson, Gates, Floyd, and Sproles) are controlling the ball through the air well enough to beat most teams. However, there will come a time when teams decide to focus on pass defense and force the Chargers to run the football. Hopefully the upcoming return of center Nick Hardwick will be just what the doctor ordered for the Chargers ground game.

Preview: Eagles @ Chargers

This Sunday is much like last Sunday for the Chargers. The main difference is that the Bolts are not the team that has to travel across country to play, the Eagles are. Yes, the Bolts host the Philadelphia Eagles in what should look much like last week's matchup against the Giants. Both the Eagles and the Chargers have very talented quarterback (Rivers and McNabb), fast, game breaking receivers named Jackson, talented tight ends (Gates and Celek), and running games that have been struggling at best. The Chargers running problems were described above while Philly has been dealing with a concussion issue with stud back Brian Westbrook. It sure looks like they will be airing it out on Sunday!

Currently, the Chargers are a one point favorite at home against the Eagles. That seems a little surprising to me, but the home field advantage is usually good for three points in the eyes of the sports books. Personally, I would not lay money down on this game, but I will continue my homer ways and predict a Bolt victory. If only the Redskins stood a chance to beat the Broncos. Either way, if the Chargers win, next up is a huge matchup with the division rivals.

WEEK 10 NFL PICKS

BEARS @ niners (I could have lied. How bad is Chokeler?)

bills @ TITANS (Look out, here come the Titans!)

SAINTS @ rams (No contest)

bucs @ DOLPHINS (I can't see the Bucs having a winning streak)

lions @ VIKINGS (Again...no contest even with a banged up Brett)

jaguars @ JETS (Tempting to go with Jax, but I can't on the road)

bengals @ STEELERS (Ochocinco offered me a dollar to pick the Bengals, but I declined.)

BRONCOS @ redskins (I wish I could justify picking the Skins, but I can't)

FALCONS @ panthers (Delhomme not good enough against Falcons defense)

CHIEFS @ raiders (Who cares?)

COWBOYS @ packers (Packers lost to the Bucs. Enough said)

seahawks @ CARDS (Could be a wild one)

PATRIOTS @ colts (The coin landed on tails)

RAVENS @ browns (Terrible Monday night game)

eagles 20 @ CHARGERS 24

Enjoy the games and I'll see you next week! I'd love to read your comments and get back to you.

No comments: