Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bolt Notes: WEEK 17 Analysis and NFL Picks!



Here we are, the last week of the regular season! Personally, I think this is the toughest week of the year to pick winners. Who is going to rest starters? Who is going to play it safe? Who has already packed it in and started their vacations? Who has something to prove? Who is playing a do or die game? All of these angles make it hard to decide the winners in week 17. That's okay, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Last week I went 10-6 (again), to move my overall record up to 152-88. Read my picks and let me know what you think!

NFL PICKS WEEK 17

colts @ BILLS

It feels strange to pick the Bills over the Colts. However, the Colts have shown that they are going to rest their studs and play their backups. Also, it was obvious last week that the team was let down by their coaches decision to pull starters and lose their perfect season. That could linger as the year comes to a close. The only question is if Buffalo will show up for this game.

jaguars @ BROWNS

This could be four in a row for the Browns!!! Are you kidding me? Leave it to the Browns to win enough to lower their draft pick, yet not make the playoffs. Oh well, it's a sign of improvement. As for the Jags, they could very well win this game. Is going .500 enough of an incentive to go on the road an beat a hot team? I doubt it.

BEARS @ lions

I don't like either team in this one. The Lions don't know how to win. Also, Jay Cutler is a bottom feeder. He loves to pad his stats against the bad teams. He has to want to go out on a good note so the off season isn't filled with people calling for his head on a platter. That should be enough for the Bears to win this in a close one.

NINERS @ rams

If the Niners have folded their tents, they will lose. I'm betting that Coach Singletary will not allow that is his players. If they show up, the Niners should have too much fire power for the lack-luster Rams.

STEELERS @ dolphins

Another tough call. I just think that the champions will show up and force the rest of the league to keep them out of the playoffs. The Dolphins at their best could beat a banged up Pittsburgh, but I don't see Miami at their best right now. That being said, I don't see Pittsburgh in the playoffs either (thank God).

giants @ VIKINGS

Vikings jockeying for position in the playoffs and the Giants looking like a shell of their former selves. There is no way that Favre wants to play anywhere but in a dome in the playoffs and he also really needs a bye week. The Vikings will pull out all the stops to win this game. Fortunately, it shouldn't take that great of an effort to beat the G-Men.

FALCONS @ bucs

Congratulations to the Bucs for their big win last week. Enjoy it while it lasts Tampa Bay. The Falcons will not relax for the Bucs this week. Falcons win easily.

saints @ PANTHERS

The Saints have been struggling and have shown that they will rest Brees and other starters to ready them for the playoffs. If the Panthers are still playing with pride, they should be able to squeak this one out.

patriots @ TEXANS

Billy Boy says he will start Brady, and I believe he will. However, how long will he play and how many other starters will see limited, if any time at all? I see the Pats resting this week and more or less handing the Texans this one. Also, the Texans are playing for their playoff lives at home. Advantage Houston.

EAGLES @ cowboys

Maybe the best game of the week. Both teams need it and both teams are playing well. I almost went with Dallas at home, but I think the Eagles are too explosive for Americas Team. (note to Fox TV. Just because I live an hour North of San Diego does not mean that I am not a Chargers fan. I am very displeased that I will have to watch the Cowboys game when my Bolts are playing a sold out home game. Remember, not everyone is a Cowboys fan!

chiefs @ BRONCOS

It looks like Denver is going to pull off a miracle! They are about to become the third team in NFL history start 6-0 and not make the playoffs. However, for this to happen, it will take a little bit of help since I can't see them losing this game. Coach McDaniels must be confident as well as he picks now to bench his best receiver, Brandon Marshall. Even if the Broncos win, which I think they will, they need the Jets, Ravens, and Steelers to lose as well. Looks like another long postseason for the Broncos. Two first round draft choices next year should help.

RAVENS @ raiders

This game will not be close. As good as the DB's of the Raiders are, I don't believe they will be able to control a motivated Ravens offense. Also, the quarterbacks of the Raiders leave something to be desired. Sorry, Charlie Frye and JaMarcus Russell, I don't think you are saviors.

packers @ CARDS

Another potentially good game. Should be lots of passing and some big plays in this one. I think the Cards are starting to peak and will blow past the Packers at home.

TITANS @ seahawks

They should just flip a coin for this game. The Titans played poorly last week against the Chargers and they are banged up. The Seahawks (let me see if I can put this kindly)...hmmm...are ...............horrible! If the Titans board the plane, they win this game.

bengals @ JETS

New York is fighting for a birth in the playoffs and Cincinnati is pretty well locked in. Playing at home, with a solid defense, and something to play for, should be enough to put the Jets over the Bengals.

redskins @ CHARGERS

This is a much harder game to call then it looks. Coach Norv Turner has said that he wants to get as many starters on the team some quality playing time as possible. However, he has also said that subs like quarterback Billy Volek will get a large amount of snaps. My guess is that the starters will get a quarter and then the most valuable, and banged up starters will be done for the day.

Then you have the Redskins. They should be playing their starters throughout the entire game, unless there are subs they want to look at for next year. Normally, that would give them the advantage. However, judging by the previous two weeks for the Skins, I don't think the starters are trying anymore. They were destroyed in a big rivalry game on Monday night two weeks ago and then turned around and got shut out last week. I can't see the Redskins beating the Chargers in any scenario this week.

My only fear for this game is that a key starter, or two, will be injured and knocked out of the playoffs. A few years back, I watched my Bolts play a meaningless game against the Cardinals in week 17. During that game, Philip Rivers injured his foot and was very limited in the playoffs.

Over the past three years, key players like LaDainian Tomlinson, Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Antonio Cromartie, Jamal Williams, Antonio Gates, and others have staggered into the post season and the team has not been able to put two playoffs wins together. This year could be different. I believe if the Chargers stay healthy, this is the best opportunity they have had to win it all. I'm not ordering Super Bowl tickets, nor am I getting my ring finger sized for a championship ring (copy of course). What I am saying, is that their won't be any excuses this year and the Chargers have proven they can play with the big boys. Only time will tell!

Enjoy the games
!

5 comments:

jon_464 said...

Will, the Seahawks have mailed it in. They're counting down the MINUTES before they split town for their summer vacation. They should have backed up the Brink's truck for Holmgren. As for my Panthers, I like them to beat the Saints and finish the season with three straight wins. But I really do like your Bolts to win it all this year. They have that Super feeling.

3rdStoneFromTheSun said...

happy new year

BoltBacker21 said...

From your mouth to God's ears Jon! Thanks for the comment. I agree with you except, Holmgren was there when the team started to fall apart and is partly responsible for the roster today. Is he a great personnel guy? I'm not so sure.

BoltBacker21 said...

Happy New Year to you too 3rdStone!

Unknown said...

AJC Breaking News - Falcons have first back-to-back winning seasons

With 20-10 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons end the season 9-7 and record their first consecutive winning seasons in the franchise's 43-year history.